Posted on 25th June, 2019
Posted By Smita Medhekar
Many of you must have completed your 12th exam. And as a trend, you must be thinking of pursuing an engineering or a medical course.
As engineering and medical careers offer attractive remuneration, thus undoubtedly, these are lucrative career options for students. But are these the only career options for you? Can you think of any other options?
Many students like you struggle for admission to medical or engineering courses and if they don’t get it, then they get confused and tensed with a thought, “If not engineering, then what?”
For science students like you, there is no lack of career/ course options once you complete your 12th standard. So many career options await you which you can pursue other than engineering and medical after class 12th.
The major advantage that science students have over non-science students is that you are eligible for science as well as non-science options for courses! This privilege is not available to students from commerce and humanities streams.
Career Options after 12th
Whether it is buying a cup of coffee or choosing career options, opportunities and choices have increased to the point where decision making occupies much of your time.
Below given are few choices for you, other than medical and engineering which you can pursue after completing 10+2 in Science stream:
- This course prepares students for the pharmaceutical industry as it is a professional course.
- In India and abroad, these professionals are in great demand.
- After completing the course, you can work as a pharmacist, drug therapist, health inspector, drug inspector, or as a drug technician.
||Students must have completed 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or Biology as core subjects.
- Are you good at multi-tasking and are you organized? Do you believe in hard work and have patience?
- B.Sc. Nursing would be a good option for you then. You will be trained in all practical and theoretical aspects of nursing.
- After completing the course you can join health institutes, private nursing homes, or medical colleges as trained & certified nurses.
||10+2 with Physics, Biology, and Chemistry. Some colleges which have nursing courses, hold entrance exams for admission to B.Sc. Nursing courses.
- If you are deeply interested in pursuing a career in research or academics, B.Sc (Hons) in subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Botany or Zoology will help you do just that.
- By doing a masters degree, you can further your prospect and can then move on to research and work as a junior research fellow in any reputed research institute.
- You can also pursue a career as a lecturer in any university or get a job in the pharmaceutical industry, chemical industry, or in government organizations like ONGC.
||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics, or Computer Science.
- Do you have an interest in the socio-cultural development of humans? Have you ever thought about studying it?
- A course in anthropology traces the socio-cultural and biological evolution of humans right from their origin.
- After completing your higher studies in anthropology, you can work as a curator, culture resource manager, tour guide, urban planner, or work as a research scholar.
||Students like you must have studied 10+2 with Biology as one of your core subjects.
B.Sc. Occupational Therapy
- You can explore another relatively new option which is B.Sc Occupational Therapy (BOT).
- You can work with patients who suffer from orthopedic, psychological/psychiatric and neurological disorders.
||10+2 with Physics, Biology, and Chemistry
- This course prepares a student for the practice of physiotherapy.
- A physiotherapist could be employed in municipal corporations, rehabilitation departments, and private bodies.
- Eligibility : 10+2 or equivalent, with 50% or more marks in the aggregate of Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and English Core.
||10+2 or equivalent, with 50% or more marks in the aggregate of Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and English Core.
- Rather than teaching specific technologies which may quickly become outdated, B.Sc (CS) mainly focuses on the mathematical and theoretical foundations of computing.
- Though people prefer to enhance their skills by pursuing M.Sc. Computer Science, IT companies hire B.SC (CS) students for the post of software testers and software developers.
||10+2 or equivalent, with 50% or more marks in the aggregate of Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry.
- This degree in B.Sc.(Honours) Electronics covers all the key concepts required to become a successful Electronics professional.
- The course provides students with skills which are required to design electrical, computer, electronic, communication and automation systems.
- Opportunities for you after completing B.Sc. Electronics are available in design, testing, production, quality control, inspection, technical sales and project management, research and development, aerospace and defense electronics.
||10+2 or equivalent, with 50% or more marks in the aggregate of Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry as compulsory subjects.
- If you feel that you have the ability to visualize things, a great imagination, and you are good at drawing, then you can pursue a course in architecture.
- B.Arch. is a 5 year long undergraduate course.
- You also need to clear the entrance exam such as AIEEE and NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture). You can then pursue a masters in architecture or you can also work as a site engineer on the basis of B.Arch. degree.
||For admission to most architectural colleges, the eligibility is 50 percent marks in HSC or equivalent, with physics, maths, and chemistry, as compulsory subjects.
- You can pursue a Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA) if you have Mathematics and English as core subjects.
- It is a three-year degree course which is designed to inculcate entrepreneurship skills and to impart management education in a student.
||10+2 from any stream with English and Mathematics as core subjects and a minimum aggregate of 50% in it. You may need to sit for different entrance exams conducted by different colleges offering BBA program for admission to BBA course.
- This is a discipline of great importance and value.
- Research in this field has been revolutionized by innovative technologies like bioinformatics, genomics, and genetic engineering.
||10+2 in science with Physics, Biology, and Chemistry.
- The field which makes use of living things in engineering, medicine, and technology is known as ‘Biotechnology’.
- You can pursue a B.Sc. in Biotechnology or even you can pursue an engineering degree in Biotechnology.
- You can also further your skills by taking up Masters in Biotechnology or you can also enter the job market in fields like the diagnostic industry and pharmaceuticals.
||Students who have completed 10+2 with science stream can opt for a B.Tech (Biotechnology) or an integrated M.Tech.(Biotechnology); Science stream graduates from any field (engineering, medicine, etc.) can opt for an M.Tech (Biotechnology) course.
So, these are the courses which you can pursue apart from medicine and engineering after class 12th. Thus, you should not limit yourself to only engineering and medicine and you should try to explore new fields and courses.
Try to identify your potential, your likes, and dislikes, your strong points and weak points and accordingly select your course!
All the very best for your future!!